The Makeover Pre-Game Special
Okay boys and girls, today''s the official start of the makeover I promised myself over a month ago. I''ve been saving up my money to do some special things for myself, and I''m going to take before/after pictures of everything. Let it be known that I got a lot of these treatments at a discount because of Groupon (God bless you, Groupon) so this will be costing me less than you might think. Plus some things (like facials, teeth whitening) I will do myself.
Here''s the list:
- Eyelash Extensions (I know, they''re expensive and silly. Don''t care. I saved up special just for these, and I''m TOTALLY STOKED.)
- Drastic Haircut & Coppola Keratin Treatment (AKA 6-months of straight hair! WHAT.)
- Body Scrub and Spray-Tan (I''m scared of this because I had this done right before my wedding and it was a disaster, but the place I''m going has 5-star reviews so I''m gonna take the plunge one more time.)
- Teeth Whitening (over the counter, not the $200 ones from the dentist)
- Deep Facial (scrub, masque, etc)
- Mani/Pedi (I''m getting SNS tips put on which is supposed to be a less breakable, more natural looking version of acrylic. So excited that my boss said I could have these at work! I might get the "American Manicure" which is a lot less severe looking than the French.)
- Eyebrow Waxing (keeping fingers crossed that I have enough $$ left to do a bikini wax too, but not going to hold my breath on that one.)
In addition to these body treatments, I have scheduled Dental and Vision appointments, yet another aspect of self-care, and I''m getting bloodwork done this weekend to check on my thyroid (again). Vision is done and I have some sweet new contacts, including a vanity pair in a silvery color that actually look pretty awesome.
Lastly, I bought some new clothes and will be setting up my new "dressing room". Don''t get too impressed; this is basically just a tiny room in the house that I had been using as a little office, and I''m going to turn my desk into a vanity, plus put in one of those rolling coat racks to hang my new clothes. I''m giving Brendan my bureau and the bedroom closet, so that our stuff is better separated (he doesn''t even have a bureau, we''ve been using cardboard boxes turned on their sides for cubbies).
I made sure to get the coat rack with a cover over it to keep off the cat hair because no matter how cute my outfit is, I will totally look like a slob when there are bits of lint and fur all over me. Ugh. So part of the "makeover" includes taking better care of my clothes, putting away laundry before the cats have a chances to sleep on it, and just generally keeping my self-care area more organized. I''m also weeding through all the stuff that I never wear, and getting ruthless about throwing things away. Here are some of the clothes I bought:
2 bodyshapers (in 2 different "strengths" of hold)
8 pairs of socks
leggings and jeggings
2 sweater dresses
1 pair knee-high boots
4 long-sleeved shirts
I haven''t worn any of these yet except for a couple of long-sleeved shirts for work; they''re still wrapped up in the bags, waiting to be hung safely away from the cats.
So here''s how this is going to work: I''m going to take before and after pictures of EVERYTHING, from my whole body and usual work/play clothes, to my lashes, hair, and face, PLUS my "dressing room". I am doing this as much for myself as I am for my readers; I want a visual reminder of how different I can look and feel if I am willing to take care of myself, and how nice the atmosphere can be in my little room when it''s clean and neat and organized.
I''m taking this seriously, ya''ll. No more rolling out of bed and going to work in the same wrinkled, linty clothes as yesterday, no more searching through fifteen t-shirts with tears and stains to find the wearable two that remain. No more putting up my greasy, knotted hair into quick ponytails or covering blemishes from not washing my face the night before with EVEN MORE MAKEUP.
I call myself a Hedonista, right? Well it''s time to start acting like one. It''s time to start taking some joy in my own beauty, and stop treating myself (and my body) like a chore. Taking care of myself and rediscovering that sense of pride and indulgence is going to be my first priority in the coming weeks.
My eyelash application is tonight, so stay tuned! I''m going to be showing the bits and pieces of the makeover one at a time, and then the final package once I''m all done, a la What Not To Wear. To celebrate, I will be giving away one of my favorite beauty items in the "Free Lunch" section, so check it out and enter to win!